Monday 11 November 2013

Trending: Shibori

I keep seeing shibori in my Pinterest feed. It originates from Japan and refers to several methods of dyeing cloth with a pattern by binding, stitching, folding, twisting, compressing it, or capping. Some of these methods are known in the West as tie-dye. It seems a world away from the multicolor tie-dye experiments I used to try as a teenager.  I just shuddered remembering a pair of horrendous patchwork tie-dye trousers I owned aged about 17.  Worn tucked into Doc Martens they seemed to be all the rage, though I've since asked friends from other parts of the country whether they were aware of such a trend, and no-one knows what I'm on about, so I guess it must have been a very local (Cumbrian) trend!  Maybe if my trousers had been made from shibori fabric in the beautiful bold blues you see below, I could have started a national trend.  I've completely fallen for Rebecca Atwood's cushions below, the combination of linen and blue shibori is just perfect.


Rebecca Atwood

link



Image from Kinfolk




Image from Kinfolk

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin